Dear Editor,In May 2015 the APNU/AFC coalition was ushered into power on a wave of optimism and goodwill. In a short three and a half years, all that optimism and goodwill has dissipated. They are now a fallen Government courtesy of the No-Confidence vote won by the PPP/C on December 21, 2018.This loss has revealed the true nature of this coalition Government. They are trying all sorts of manoeuvres to remain in power, other than going to the polls as the Constitution dictates. The Constitution is clear on what is required after a successful no-confidence motion. Government operatives are fighting this requirement on several fronts, there is the conspiracy theory, of Mr Charrandas Persaud being bribed by the PPP to vote yes, next there is the creative Mathematics of somehow 33 not being greater than 32, and they are even questioning the nationality of Persaud.All in an effort to delay the inevitable. To all the supporters of the current Government I would like to ask you one question. Were the situation reversed, with the PPP/C in power and lost a no-confidence vote with the margin, would you have accepted them not resigning?I know if you are honest with yourselves the answer would be no.Members of the Government like to pontificate that Jagdeo wants power to have access to the anticipated oil wealth. I wonder now who it is that is that is behaving like they need access to that oil wealth come what may. The evidence is there for all of us to see.I call upon the Government to act in a responsible manner and let us go to the polls, and let the will of the people be honoured.Regards,Todd A Morgan
Whiskey smugglingThe Special Weapons and Tactics (SAWT) Commander Mootie Dookie, who was implicated in smuggling 30 cases of whiskey late last month, has been sent on leave as investigators finalised their probe.This latest revelation involving the high-level rank was revealed by the GuyanaSWAT Commander Mootie DookiePolice Force’s Public Relations department which noted on Friday that Dookie proceeded on his annual vacation leave from January 11.The Force’s release follows a press statement by acting Police Commissioner David Ramnarine, who earlier this month decried that much of the good work and achievements the Force has been making is constantly being tarnished by rogue elements, deeming the situation as “distressing and painful”.Just before Old Year’s Day 2017, Dookie was found in a minibus during a routine roadblock on the Corentyne, with 30 cases of whisky – Johnny Walker brand – smuggled into the country from neighbouring Suriname.Reports are he told ranks on the operation that he only had 10 cases to take to a party, but a search proved otherwise. Dookie nor the minibus driver could produce documentation to verify possessing the 30 cases. The SAWT Commander had not been granted permission to leave his Georgetown post.Guyana Times understands that the completed file of the investigation has beenActing Police Commissioner David Ramnarinesent to the Director of Public Prosecutions’ Chambers for legal advice, signalling that charges could possibly be laid against the senior rank.Dookie, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, was removed as SWAT Commander and temporarily posted at the Force’s Strategic Planning Unit.
A man, who claimed he found cannabis on the roadway, was sentenced to two years imprisonment when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Wednesday.Darren SearsTwenty-six-year-old Darren Sears stood before Magistrate Faith McGusty and plead guilty to the charge which stated that on June 25, 2019 at Hunter Street, Albouystown, Georgetown, he had 20 grams of cannabis in his possession for trafficking.Sears told the Court that he was heading home from work when he noticed the narcotics in a bag on the ground and picked it up.He further told the Court that as he was walking, a Police patrol vehicle that was passing stopped him and the ranks began to search him, leading them to find the narcotic.He went on to tell the Court, “I work for a low salary, sometimes no salary”.Magistrate McGusty, after listening to the man’s explanation, sentenced him to two years imprisonment.
The Fort St. John Paladin Black Sox have now stated they do not have enough players to play in the last three games of the regular season. According to Dee-Ann Stickel, Black Sox players have struggled to keep it going with work, injuries and other commitments.The club hopes to recruit more players for next season and has apologized to the league for not being able to complete the season. – Advertisement -**SubmittedJason Shmyr brought in the winning run in what turned out to be a very productive night for Rycroft.At home, Byryn Murphy pitched the Rage to a tight 2-1 win over Grimshaw 2-1. They also found out that Fort St. John is forfeiting all 3 games they had planned against the Rage this week. So with 1 game left on the schedule, Rycroft sits at 12 and 7.One more Wheatbelt game tonight. 2nd place Beaverlodge welcomes Norwest. Advertisement
Also: Assistant head coach Mike Singletary will stay with the 49ers after he was removed from the list of candidates for the Detroit Lions’ head coaching job, San Francisco coach Mike Nolan said. … The New York Giants have fired secondary coach Ron Milus. … The New England Patriots promoted linebackers coach Dean Pees to defensive coordinator, replacing new New York Jets coach Eric Mangini. … Former Chicago Bears defensive back Dave Duerson pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of domestic battery after getting into an argument with his wife in a South Bend, Ind., hotel room. A police report said Duerson pushed his wife out the door of their room and she hit the wall. She was treated and released from a hospital. … Ron Jessie, a former Los Angeles Rams receiver who played 11 seasons in the NFL, has died. He was 57. Jessie died Friday after suffering a heart attack in his Huntington Beach home, said Brandon Jessie, one of his two sons. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! New England Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini was hired Tuesday to be the new head coach of the New York Jets. Mangini, who turns 35 on Thursday, becomes the youngest head coach in the league. Terms of the deal weren’t known but it is believed he will get between $2 million and $2.5 million per year over five years. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Niners hire Turner: Norv Turner, fired as coach of the Oakland Raiders two weeks ago, moved across San Francisco Bay to become the 49ers’ offensive coordinator. Harper’s wife charged: The wife of Indianapolis Colts cornerback Nick Harper will not face a felony battery charge for cutting him with a kitchen knife, an Indiana judge ruled. Daniell Harper, 31, still faces a criminal recklessness charge. She was released on $5,000 bond after spending the weekend in the jail. Seahawks’ Locklear charged: Seattle Seahawks tackle Sean Locklear was charged with one count of assault for allegedly grabbing his girlfriend by the neck, and released without bail after a court appearance. A judge ordered Locklear to have no contact with his live-in girlfriend. He also must abstain from alcohol and other drugs while the case is pending. A second court date was set for Feb. 13. Packers hire coaches: Five days after becoming the Packers’ coach, Mike McCarthy hired three coaches and kept three others. The moves left only the position of quarterbacks coach vacant on the offensive staff and follow Sunday’s hiring of offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski. Edgar Bennett will return as running back coach, as will Joe Philbin (offensive line coach) and James Campen (assistant offensive line coach). Ty Knott becomes offensive quality control coach, Ben McAdoo is tight ends coach and Jimmy Robinson will coach wide receivers. Saints hire Payton: The New Orleans Saints will hire Dallas Cowboys assistant Sean Payton to his first NFL head coaching job, a team official familiar with the decision said. Payton has been a quarterbacks coach for three seasons under Bill Parcells in Dallas. He also held the title of assistant head coach. Before that, he was a New York Giants assistant, a stint that included that team’s NFC Championship in 2000.
With only 2 days to go, preparations are well under way for Letterkenny Live 2012.Last year was a great success and this year will be bigger and better with a list of top class acts!The committee are currently hard at work finalising details to ensure that all will run smoothly over the festival weekend. We have secured a smashing line up for both nights. The festival gig rig will be located on Oliver Plunkett Road. Both nights kick off at 7.30pm and will finish at 11pm, early enough for families and young people to get home and for others giving plenty of time to visit local pubs and clubs who are already planning festival events for after the show.On Saturday Night the headline act is bressie well known from The Voice supported by Aslan and The Kanyu Tree. Both are fantastic festival bands that have a wide appeal.“This year to give it more of a festival feel we’ve partnered with the Donegal Youth Service who will deliver their annual Party in The Park on Saturday afternoon. This annual event is a real showcase for local young bands and attracts upwards of 1000 young people each year. This year they have re-named it “Party in The Car Park.” They will have access to the full set up and we’re delighted to be able to add this to our lineup from 1.30pm to 5.30pm.“Sunday is Country Night with Susan McCann, Hugo and Off the Kuff and Trevor Loughrey. All really popular acts that will create a different type of concert but one we think will be really appealing to a wider audience. “We are encouraging everyone to come out and support the festival and to tell family and friends who may be planning to visit Letterkenny over the festival weekend, this will definitely be a weekend not to be missed,” said Letterkenny Live spokeswoman Siobhan Barrett-Doherty.For up to date information on the festival follow us on facebook, facebook.com/letterkennylive and on our wesbsite www.letterkennylive.comThis promises to be a great weekend of FREE on street entertainment and we look forward to seeing you all! COUNTDOWN UNDERWAY FOR BIGGEST AND BEST LETTERKENNY LIVE was last modified: August 16th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Letterkenny Live 2012
Parlour, who can often be heard on talkSPORT’s Breakfast show alongside Alan Brazil, added he was proud to be using the club’s name to give children a better future. However, he couldn’t resist teaching the youngsters a few songs, including “There’s only one team in London” and the popular Santi Cazorla chant. Some even recreated Danny Welbeck’s ‘salt bae’ celebration.To learn more about The Arsenal Foundation and make a donation please visit arsenal.com/thearsenalfoundation 1 Ray Parlour was in Indonesia recently visiting one of the most disadvantaged slum communities in North Jakarta.An Arsenal ‘Invincible’ in 2004, he was there to meet children involved in the club’s new football programme with Save the Children and brought with him his usual enthusiasm.Arsenal say the programme, funded by their charity ball last season, uses football as a way to allow vulnerable children to escape their difficult circumstances. It gives them a safe space to play, helps to build confidence and encourages teamwork among the boys and girls taking part.“I met a young boy called Dhani who lives on a bench at the edge of a rubbish dump,” Parlour explained. “He had to drop out of school to work and support his family because his dad is blind. Seeing how he lives and hearing his story has been tough,” he added.
6 6 STAR MANThere were a lot of great performances from the Moroco side but Boutaib was the standout player. He made a great start with a composed finish to give Morocco the lead.Boutaib will perhaps feel he should have had second later in the game but it shows he rattled the likes of Ramos and Pique which is an impressive feat.MOMENT OF THE MATCH 6 Pique avoided a sending off for this tackle on Boutaib Eb-Nesyri’s header nearly gave Morocco a fairytale ending to the tournament Boutaib’s goal was Morocco’s first at a World Cup since France 98 6 Youssef En-Nesyri’s bullet header ten minutes from time had seemingly earned Hervé Renard’s men an unlikely victory, but the 2010 winners’ blushes were spared right at the death.Earlier, Khalid Boutaib took advantage of some woeful defending by Spain to give the Atlas Lions a shock lead but Isco’s emphatic finish levelled the game up in a game which saw Gerard Pique and Younes Belhanda escape red cards for nasty tackles.The game had a staggering 22 fouls and the tone was first set in the sixth minute with handbags between Sergio Ramos and Nordin Amrabat. Moments later, Gerard Pique was perhaps fortunate to escape a sending off for a two-footed challenge on Boutaib.However, the Morocco forward shook this off on 14 minutes to give his nation a surprise lead – sliding the ball through David De Gea’s legs after latching onto a mix-up on the halfway line between Ramos and Andres Iniesta. And Amrabat came incredibly close to scoring but his brilliant long-range shot rattled the crossbar.Isco then had a header cleared off the line by Romain Saiss before Gerard Pique headed narrowly wide from the resulting corner.Morocco then re-took the lead when substitute En-Nesyri powerfully headed beyond De Gea to put them seemingly on course for the three points.But in added time Aspas cleverly back-heeled a cross from the right in the second minute of time added on to ensure both sides shared the spoils in what was an very bad-tempered game at points. 6 It was a game which threatened to descend into chaos at points but En-Nesyri’s goal was a wonderful moment for the player who was initially left out of the final 23-man squad but drafted back in at the last minute by Renard.However, Aspas denied Morocco the perfect ending to a tournament where the north African side have acquitted themselves brilliantly even though they are exiting the tournament at the first hurdle.GROUP B TABLE En-Nesryri’s header nearly gave Morocco the shock win But Isco made it 1-1 within five minutes after slamming the ball into the roof of the net – finishing off a slick move involving Iniesta and Diego Costa.Boutaib nearly restored Morocco’s lead after being put through by a quick throw-in but De Gea was equal to the effort this time.It was then Spain’s turn to feel aggrieved at an opponent escaping a red card when Belhanda stamped on Iniesta but referee Ravshan Irmatov took no action.The frenetic pace continued into the second-half as both sides threw everything in search of a winner. 6 Aspas’ clever finish prevented Spain suffering a humiliating defeat Spain scraped through to the last 16 of the World Cup even though they could only manage a 2-2 draw at the hands of Morocco in a high-octane contest at Kaliningrad.Iago Aspas’ stoppage-time ensured the 2010 winners would just about top the group and avoid a last 16 clash with Uruguay after Portugal could only manage a draw against Iran.
A day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi accused the Congress of deceiving people on the farm loan waiver and the 1984 anti-Sikh riots issues, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Friday hit back saying that every statement by Mr. Modi was a desperate bid to mislead the people in the face of an imminent defeat in the upcoming parliamentary elections.Capt. Singh alleged that Mr. Modi had yet again lied on every issue — from the 1984 riots to the farm debt waiver and Kartarpur corridor — at the public rally in Gurdaspur.In a statement released here, Capt. Singh asked why Mr. Modi had been silent on the BJP-RSS workers named in the FIR lodged at the Tilak Marg Police Station on the violence perpetrated against the Sikhs during the 1984 riots.“And what about the 2002 riots in Gujarat which happened right under your nose and in which your own party members were squarely blamed and named,” he asked.Kartarpur corridorCapt. Singh also criticised the Prime Minister for trying to seize credit for the Kartarpur Corridor, which “the Congress had been actively pursuing since the days of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, right down to Dr. Manmohan Singh.”Capt. Singh claimed that the Congress government in Punjab had fulfilled more promises in 21 months than the Modi-led government at the Centre had done in five years.“We have managed to waive ₹3,417 crore of crop loans of 4,14,275 farmers in just one year. Another three lakh farmers will get crop loan waiver to the tune of about ₹4,000 crore very soon. Did you even give one paisa to us to help the farmers,” asked the Chief Minister. “And where is the Swaminathan report, which you had promised to implement,” he asked Mr. Modi.
Former International Cricket Council (ICC) umpire Simon Taufel today came out in support of Ravichandran Ashwin, saying the Kings XI Punjab skipper’s decision to ‘Mankad’ has nothing to do with the spirit of cricket.”My view on this particular issue is that it has nothing to do with the spirit of cricket. During our discussion, we spoke at length about Law 41.16. The intent of the law is that the non-striker should not leave their ground at the bowler’s end before the ball is delivered. This is why the ICC has stipulated within their regulations and interpretations that the bowler can dismiss the non-striker run out up until the bowler’s arm reaches the top of the delivery swing,” ESPNcricinfo quoted Taufel as saying.”What I did say to the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) was that maybe we could help people understand that this incident had nothing to do with the spirit of cricket, but rather everything to do with the run-out rule (Law 38) by repositioning this clause about unfair advantage under that Law in future,” he added.Ashwin’s run-out of Jos Buttler in the match between Kings XI Punjab and Rajasthan Royals in the ongoing edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) was a major talking point. The player had said it was very instinctive but the MCC opined differently, saying the Indian player’s act hurt the spirit of cricket and his actions were deliberate.”All Ashwin did was appealed to the umpire for a run-out dismissal. He stopped short of delivering the ball and did not go through with his delivery swing. For him to be subject to adverse commentary that amounted to character assassination regarding his supposed contravention of the spirit of the game, is incredibly unfair in the way the Laws are written and the way they are to be applied,” Taufel said.advertisementAlso Read | IPL 2019: R Ashwin thought about Mankading Shikhar Dhawan. Then this happenedAlso Read | IPL 2019: R Ashwin rues batting flop show after KXIP lose to RCB in tense clash